Its been a very hot hot summer...... the island water warm.... tooo warm..... This summers heat intense......shockingly so to all........... we now move into winter weather and water water......................island style.... thank goodness.. its been waaayyy toooo hot!!!!
The water in the Bay has calmed down enough for me to swim into the big cave at the bay. I enter the crystal clear water of a little bay that's sits within the Big bay and made my way toward the cave. The tides are still high, the ocean not quite ready for the low low tides of summer. I enter the big cave that is still partially filled with water. The tide is pushing me in and out of the cool cave like a ride at the carnival! In and out... in and out of the cave, all the while I'm trying like crazy to get a picture from the inside of the cave looking out. It was on my 20Th trip with the tide back into the cave that I heard the splash behind me. Now, for me a splash behind me causes my heart to immediately start racing. Why? well when sharks feed they have a certain tail movement that causes a splash. I hear the splash and my brain goes into overdrive, "LANI", my brain screams, "DON'T look back,just swim to shore".. i feel my legs getting weak.. "LAN...
I sit in the ocean where i have never sat before.... Mother Nature in her magic has covered a lava rock reef that juts out into the ocean with sand....i am delighted.... i swing my feet over the sand covered reef ledge and smile... Ive never seen the mountain range, from land, from this angle... its magnificent... After awhile, i see the turtles at my feet and smile... " Hi u guys, how is this for a seat?!! The day had been hot... the water is cool but not cold... i can feel my boiling blood start to cool...all of a sudden from behind me , a voice pierces my thoughts... "OMGOMG they KNOW you!!!"... behind me 4 visitors to the island stand mouths open in smiles... "oo i don't know" i reply, "Ive been coming here for years,l I think i smell like a turtle" they look at me skeptically.... One woman slides into the water , goggles tilted crooked on her beautiful face..Half in the ocean and half out of the Ocean, she dips her head underwate...
Comments