IT SMELLS!

Barbers Point, the southern tip of the island of Oahu. A big commercial luau(hawaiian feast) is held out here.




The Coast Guard has a light house and communication towers out here.

The water is shallow and runs over reefs that USED to grow TONS of Seaweed...



I remember my parents bringing me here as a child.. The shore was filled with local people picking seaweed


The shore is no longer lined with Seaweed(hawaiian word for
seaweed is LIMU) like it was when I was a child...



BUT as soon as i got out of my car and walked to the shore, there was ONE thing I remembered from my childhood....


THE SMELL !!! I had to smile... it smells like fresh fish here... the odor so strong , that your first thought is WHHHEEWWWW.It is the smell of the ocean and i think it has to do with the shallow reef that goes on for miles here. LOL.. A older hawaiian man with a fishing net over his shoulder and I were the only ones on the beach!


its funny how SMELL can jar your mind... I remember the purple and green seaweed.. i remember my father sooo allergic to this water because of that seaweed. LOLOL.. poor man ,one dip in this water would send him into a scratching frenzy!! Needless to say, we came here once or maybe twice!

Whats amazing is I hadn't been HERE since i was a child! I, who loves the ocean no matter What or where had not been to this spot in over 40 years! Its THAT SMELL!!!! lol


I am an island gal.......

Comments

I can imagine that seaweed smell... But what stands out in my mind is the warm, clear water at the beach in the morning... E.'s favorite spot which is near the hotel where we had dinner on the beach- the L.A. one is called New Otani and the name escapes me ....
... what a beautiful blog! and anywhere in the world, the love of the sea ... I'll gladly come back and dream with you.

Greetings from the icy northern Germany,

Isabella

Popular posts from this blog

Winter island style

Returning Home

Dolphin Day