Oahus Homeless....


There is a reason I have not spent much time on the west side of Oahu. Even though I LOVE dolphin swimming and the WEST always has dolphins, the WEST is also the home of hundreds if not thousands of homeless people.











Tent after tent, mile after mile, the homeless families of Oahu call this THEIR place. Drug addiction, alcoholism, mental illness, lack of work,unable to pay sky high rent,home foreclosures, the west is where they come.











Theft and assault is high out here in this area. The homeless existence seems to make people mean and desperate and i have not wanted my belongings stolen while i am in the water so i have just stayed away.










The answers to the problems out here are not easily come by and on this day before THANKSGIVING here in paradise, I want to let my gratitude for the dry solid roof over my head be known.

As i eat the turkey i cook tomorrow, i will be extra grateful for the meal, the table i eat it on and those in my family who will join me.

TO my fellow Hawaiians who are homeless I say to you, "I love you guys, my prayers are with you."

There but for the grace of God go I....



Comments

Seeing homeless is always tough. Seeing homeless is the pictures in these beautiful surroundings is really tough.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Leilani Tresise said…
Thank you Tami, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Crazyfox said…
So sad...I heard the homeless were everywhere on the west side...I am sure there are some who really felt they would never end up homeless...Hopefully the economy will pick up soon...
The last time I was on Oahu I did see quite a few of homeless... Many around the park area near Down to Earth...It is sad...The mainland has their share as well and it has increased due to the economy...

Popular posts from this blog

Winter island style

Returning Home

Dolphin Day